Monday, September 04, 2006

THE FRANCHISE INDEX

There's a brief, but nevertheless amusing, list of band name origins.

Only the very naive will believe the explanations given for Whitesnake and Pearl Jam... and the hilarious story I heard Lemmy tell about Hawkwind's is a notable exclusion.

It all reminds me of when I'd have read Burroughs, Camus, or maybe Anthony Burgess novels, or even Dickens, and it seemed like every other page you'd stumble upon some band name or another (of these there a couple of examples in the list), and you'd enjoy a quiet moment of wry self-satisfaction at your discovery.

2 comments:

steve davies said...

Let's try and come up with a ridiculous origin for the name 'Whitehouse'.

Unknown said...

Steely Dan! Oh, Burroughs. You incomparable old coot.

Father had Steely Dan records.

I had a quiet chuckle to myself, given that Daddy thought I was a idiot, first class.