Sunday, September 23, 2007

ANTEDILUVIAN

Even though I watch precious little television, I have become addicted to the French channel Mezzo. MTV it isn't. It serves a stylish mix of classical, jazz, and other musics from around the world that, despite its arty seriousness, is a source of ideas and inspiration and joy that commercial music seems utterly incapable of satisfying.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, through Mezzo, I discovered the young jazz trumpeter Christian Scott's new album Anthem which is the most pleasing thing I've heard since I was earlier this year kindly introduced to the diabolically entrancing Ghana Funeral Field Recordings; and Scott's lugubrious Katrina-inspired melodies have become a constant soundtrack around here. I'm guessing this won't be everyone's thing, maybe I'm wrong.

No comments: